Tuesday, June 25, 2013

I could barely sleep the night before my "surgery". I refer to as as a surgery only because I am a big baby when it comes to pain, and getting teeth pulled is about as terrifying as an experience as anyone could imagine.My remaining teeth were scattered randomly throughout my mouth, discolored some cavity filled, and yet as mangled as my smile was, it was mine.Those horrid teeth, were mine.And I wasnt sure how to feel about having my smile ripped away, and replaced with a fake plastic smile. What really bothered me most, was fear.I had never particularly enjoyed going to the dentist, because every visit involved shots, and fillings. But I had grown fond of the dentisit I had been using for about 8 years. He was amazing, kind, and had a magic touch, I was often so calm, that his shots didnt bother me. And this man that I trusted, would not be the man to do my surgery. I couldnt afford my dentist's $3000 price tag for dentures, and the "same day denture" clinic was much more affordable, under $800 for a complete set. I was terriefied to have a stranger pull so many teeth out of my mouth at once, I believe it was 18 teeth. Now keep in mind that everyones experience will be different, I would never want to discourage anyone, besides I am a coward when it comes to pain! I went in the morning of the surgery and was taken back to an open area seperated by partitions where several other patients were also having teeth extracted. Hearing the goings on of the technicians around me made me nervous, and I felt ill. The dentist came over and began my shots and there were many. You get shots in every imagineable area, including the roof of your mouth which hurts like heck! But the shots made the extractions painless. The tugging and pulling, and cracking noise of my breaking teeth however caused me to begin crying uncontrollably, and I had what I guess was an anxiety attack. The dentisit handled it well, he stopped the procedure and calmed me down, before finishing. The noises you hear are the worst part. I didnt see myself without teeth. I lay there a bloody mess, with gauze stuffed in every hole.A few minutes later, a technician came up with a new, large looking, white set of teeth, ready to be placed in my mouth. They were made of the same material that fake fingernails are made of, they smelled just like a nail salon. And I wondered if I would have to taste and smell this forever.Gross. But after about 24 -48 hours, it went away. When I finally looked into the mirror in my car, at my new smile, I hated it. It was big, and white, and in a way, it was a mega-watt movie star smile.But it was not mine. The bulkiness had changed the shape of my face, especially around my chin. It looked like I had a big mouth guard for football player in my mouth. And worse yet, I couldnt talk! I sounded like a slurring 2 year old! I thought I had made a huge mistake. But who was I kidding there was nothing left to hold onto. Once I got home from the 45 minute drive, I began staring at my teeth. I made a vlog for my youtube channel, then tried different looks with my makeup. I put on some bright red lipstick, something I never wore because of my yellow teeth. It was gorgeous! This made me feel better about my smile, and I knew that no matter what struggles lay ahead, my beautiful smile would be worth it, and would pay off, and I was right!. Join me for my next blog,where Ill go into the healing process and what I went through the first couple of weeks until then, Thanks for reading! xoxoxoTiffany

1 comment:


  1. I simply couldn’t depart your site before suggesting that I really enjoyed the usual information an individual supply in your visitors? Is going to be again steadily to check out new posts.

    Dental Hospital In Chennai | Best Dentists In Chennai | Best Dental Clinic In Chennai

    ReplyDelete